Sunday, January 18, 2009

Keep your self-motivation up!

.
It’s quite an important timing for us in AIESEC Estonia, as we are in the process of choosing the next strategic leadership team, who will lead the AIESEC country in the next period starting from July. I’m also in the process of selecting the best successor for my position, who will be coordinating an exchange area here and make it grow more. Right now I have four candidates, where the most competent and suitable for country realities will be my successor. Uhhh, its so exciting! :)

It’s the typical time in AIESEC, when everybody is asking the question – What will I do next year in AIESEC? What do you want to do? So, what’s next? And any person is searching for a role, which will develop him/her personally and make the personality stronger, being able to overcome many challenges – organizational or personal; well, some of the people are driven by patriot feelings to lead their own organization nationally or locally. I’m sure everyone is driven by its own personal motivators to be in AIESEC next period. About me is already quite sure, decided, I want to go on exchange this year after my MC term and gain more professional experience that I started to miss, but then lets see – nobody knows... I still didn’t decide which area, but it maybe even concretely related to financial management, where the work can be based on projects, communications, risk management. There were some nice thoughts which were making my eyes shine like being an MC(P) of some middle-east country, apply on AI position, but some certain reasons made me to hold back… And I’m fine with that.

I’m feeling already quite confident in the role I’m right now, having a comfort feeling that many things I started this year, the approach I took in my working style are showing the results and many people from AIESEC here told me, that I’m the right person being responsible for exchange area this year… It’s quite pleasant to hear that from various people and exactly the positive feedback has been one of the drive-ins for me to do even more better and strive for quality results more and more. That’s why for sure there is no time to relax for now, as loads of work is still waiting. Any change is a longer process…

But as I was telling, I have changed my personal approach to many things taking everything much easier and it helps a lot in not getting stressed out again. Now I’m taking more personal time for myself, going out, discovering new places (nightclubs of Tallinn as well :D) and activities (I learned how to bake cakes!), interacting with people, planning my trips, reading more… I plan to take the most out of my stay here for the next half a year… It’s quite stupid, how long it took for me to take this thoughts really from inside, even they are so much understandable from the very beginning.

Being in MC abroad its very easy to loose self-motivation, as you are in the process of adopting to realities, fighting your cultural shocks and understanding the difference in people’s work, communication, getting used to more independent life, when only you have to take care of yourself, as nobody will notice that maybe you are sick, demotivated, stressed etc. That’s why it’s very important not to let all the possible negative emotions to take over you, what happened to me and caused around two months of feeling down… It’s very crucial to make yourself to focus on positive things like your strengths, past successes, current advantages etc. By making an effort to feel grateful, you’ll realize how competent and successful you already are. This will help to increase your confidence and get you motivated to build on your current success.

“It might sound strange that repeating things you already know can improve your mindset, but it’s amazingly effective. The mind distorts reality to confirm what it wants to believe. The more negatively you think, the more examples your mind will discover to confirm that belief. When you truly believe that you deserve success, your mind will generate ways to achieve it. The best way to bring success to yourself is to genuinely desire to create value for the rest of the world.”

That’s one of the things I learned on myself – don’t let the negative emotions, thoughts and feelings to destroy you.

What also gets me motivated is a talk with my friends from my country who always show me an example to cheer up and tell how actually they proud of being my friend, what they admire in me personally and especially when they ask an important suggestion. Also, reading someone’s blogs helps a lot I would say, admitting that things you think of currently are nothing comparing to their experiences or other way around, how people are enjoying their life abroad taking the most out of it, being an example for me. Reading new books, but I’d say some personal development ones can always help you in creating an ideal picture of yourself or helping to broad your perspectives. And of course, taking a rest and not thinking that you will always have an endless supply of energy and drive. Again and again you will need some time to re-charge your emotional and spiritual batteries.
17 Terrific Self Motivating Tips
View SlideShare presentation or Upload your own. (tags: girl women)